Professional Development - Training Opportunities - District Board Training Library
A collection of training modules (videos and narrated presentations) focused on building the capabilities of local districts and helping them understand their responsibilities as entities of local government. These tools are designed to be used for self paced training, one on one facilitated training, or as part of local district board meetings. Each can be viewed in its entirety or broken down into shorter segments for viewing over time. Please follow the links below for more information.
General Information About Districts/District Supervisors
- NC Soil and Water Conservation Partnership - A video presentation series providing an overview of how Soil & Water Conservation Districts partner with other agencies/organizations to conserve our natural resources. This series is divided into four 15-20 minute modules
- The Legal Basis for Districts - A video presentation series describing the roles and responsibilities of Soil & Water Conservation Districts and the authorities of district supervisors established in NC General Statute 139. This 30-minute video is divided into several brief chapters. The series was produced and narrated by Richard Whisnant of the University of North Carolina School of Government.
- Understanding the NC Open Meetings Law - A scripted PowerPoint presentation that provides specifically applicable guidance to districts on the NC Open Meetings Law.
Management and Leadership in Districts
- Diversity in a Changing World - This 15-minute narrated presentation discusses the importance of recognizing and embracing diversity in the makeup of district boards and in delivery of services to the citizens of the district.
- Leading Your District to Be All That It Can Be - This PowerPoint presentation goes through the expectations for district supervisors and staff in the district law (NC General Statute 139) and in each district's Operational Agreement. The presentation was initially presented by David Williams at several of the 2016 Spring Area Meetings.