Professional Development - Training Opportunities
Many training opportunities exist for conservation partnership employees and supervisors in NC - including both hands-on training activities and online resources. Please follow the links below for more information.
Division Supported Training Events
- Conservation Employee Training (CET - formerly DEW) - Annual training opportunity geared toward district staff and partnership employees. Intent of the workshop is for in-depth, hands-on learning, with the opportunity to earn job approval authority.
- New Employee Orientation (NEO) - Annual orientation for new members of the NC conservation partnership. Training is geared toward staff - including instructions for implementing cost share programs, and paperwork required for state programs - but supervisors are always welcome to attend.
- NCASWCD Annual Meeting - Annual meeting for the NC Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts to develop policy and action items and elect leadership. Programming provides opportunity for district supervisors and partnership employees to receive training and updates from state and national leadership.
- UNC School of Government - Workshop hosted by the UNC School of Government staff, in-depth training program provides information on supervisor responsibilities and legal requirements for soil and water conservation districts.
Available Training and Resources
- District Board Training Library - A collection of training modules (videos and narrated presentations) focused on building the capabilities of local districts and helping them understand their responsibilities as entites of local government. These tools are designed to be used for self paced training, one on one facilitated training, or as part of local district board meetings. Each can be viewed in its entirety or borken down into shorter segments for viewing over time.
- Office Software and Applications - Includes training and guidance focused on Microsoft office applications and google documents/forms.
- Meeting Facilitation and Support - Includes various tranings on how to facilitate a meeting, handle difficult situations when facilitating a meeting as well as taking meeting minutes.
- Management and Leadership - Includes various trainings related to management styles, managing professionals, developing leadership skills, grant writing and financial administration.
- Technical Planning and Design - Various traning on a wide range of disciplines.