The mission of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is to improve the state of agriculture in North Carolina by providing services to farmers and agribusinesses, and to serve the citizens of North Carolina by providing services and enforcing laws to protect consumers.
- Maintain and enhance agriculture’s ability to provide an adequate, wholesome supply of food and natural fiber through cooperative research efforts with NC State University and NC A&T State University.
- Protect consumers from unsafe food products and unlawful business practices through programs of inspections and enforcement of laws and regulations.
- Prevent the spread of animal and plant diseases and pests, and assist farmers in preparing for and responding to catastrophic events.
- Increase sales of agricultural products grown or produced in North Carolina by continuous promotional campaigns such as “Got To Be NC.”
- Preserve farmland and other agricultural and natural resources by drawing attention to their importance to the State’s economy and quality of life.
- Encourage the safe and effective use of fertilizers and pesticides to protect the environment for the benefit of future generations.
- Highlight agriculture’s many contributions to the State’s economy, history, and future through agricultural fairs, news releases, promotional campaigns, public exhibitions, and publication of agricultural statistics.
- Carry out departmental programs in an efficient and cost-effective manner and work to continuously improve the quality of services provided to the citizens of North Carolina.