Traditional Potato Recipes
New Potato Casserole
- 2 dozen small new potatoes
- 2 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup grated American cheese (or 1/2 American and 1/2 Monterey Jack)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp. butter
Boil potatoes until fork tender and peel. Saute' onion in butter until soft. Put whole potatoes in casserole dish and pour soup over them. Mix onion with cheese and spoon on top. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) for about 15 minutes. This dish is great without peeling the potatoes. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 273 Carbohydrates 27.4 gm Protein 9.53 gm Fat 14.4 gm Sodium 1300 mg Cholesterol 33.1 mg Calcium 172 mg
- 6 medium white potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tbsp. unbleached white flour
- salt to taster
- 1/4 cup butter
Wash and peel potatoes, and shred. Next, beat the egg with a mixer. Mix together the shredded potatoes, onion, flour, and salt. Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Pour several thin pancakes in the skillet and cook over medium heat for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Turn once, griddling each until golden brown.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 214 Carbohydrates 30.8 gm Protein 3.94 gm Fat 8.69 gm Sodium 95.8 mg Cholesterol 56 mg Calcium 19.5 mg
Fried Sweet and Sour Potatoes
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups diced white potatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. sugar or honey
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup water (a little less if you use honey)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
Fry bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove and crumble well. Using 2 tbsp. of bacon grease, cook the potatoes over medium heat without turning, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until brown on bottom. Turn with spatula, add onion, and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar or honey, salt and water. Simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add vinegar. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Now remove the lid, add the bacon and reheat to serve hot. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 106 Carbohydrates 11.7 gm Protein 2.1 gm Fat 5.96 gm Sodium 908 mg Cholesterol 14 mg Calcium 6.7 mg
Potatoes Au Gratin
- 4 to 6 white potatoes
- 1 onion, sliced, and in rings
- 1 cup milk, or half and half
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
Slice potatoes thin. In a greased casserole dish, place a layer of potatoes, onion rings, and salt and pepper to taste. Fill the dish to within 1 inch of the top. Pour milk (or half and half) over potatoes, and spread cheese on top evenly. Mix together the bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle this over the cheese and place dish in a hot 425 degree oven until potatoes are tender - about 20 or 30 minutes, depending on how deep your dish of potatoes are. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 313 Carbohydrates 43.8 gm Protein 10.4 gm Fat 11.1 gm Sodium 437 mg Cholesterol 31.8 mg Calcium 223 mg
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled, coarsely shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
Heat cheese and 1/2 cup butter in saucepan over low heat until partially melted, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, green onions, salt and pepper. Fold in potatoes. Spoon into greased 8-inch glass baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or microwave covered, on High for 12 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 480 Carbohydrates 36.2 gm Protein 11.7 gm. Fat 33.0 gm. Sodium 594.0 mg. Cholesterol 87.7 mg.
Country Style Potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups chopped cooked potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
Melt butter in skillet. Add potatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Saute' until potatoes are light brown. Add onion. Cook just until onion is tender-crisp. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 150 Carbohydrates 18.9 gm. Protein 2.0 gm. Fat 7.8 gm. Sodium 247 mg. Cholesterol 20.7 mg.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch slices or wedges. Measure remaining ingredients except bell pepper into baking sheet with sides; mix to blend. Add potatoes and bell pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange in single layer. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, tossing two or three times during baking. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 235 Carbohydrates 40.4 gm. Protein 3.7 gm. Fat 7.1 gm. Sodium 306 mg. Cholesterol 0 mg.
South American Potato Platter
Potatoes and Chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 1, 49 1/2-ounce can)
- 2 pounds (6 medium) potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 lemons, halved
- 3 fresh or canned jalapeno peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 pound boned and skinned chicken breast halves
- 1 bunch cilantro
Salsa and Accompaniments
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh or canned diced mild green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup pimento-stuffed green olives
- 6 whole green onions
To prepare potatoes and chicken, in large saucepan or Dutch oven combine broth, potatoes, lemons, jalapeno peppers and cumin. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes. Add chicken; simmer about 7 minutes longer until potatoes are just tender and chicken is cooked. Remove from heat; add cilantro to saucepan. Cool potatoes and chicken in broth 30 minutes. Meanwhile, make salsa: In small bowl combine tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, vinegar, salt and pepper. Drain potatoes and chicken, reserving 1 cup broth. To assemble, mound potatoes in center of large platter. Shred chicken and arrange on platter with remaining ingredients. Pour 1/2 cup broth over potatoes; serve remaining 1/2 cup broth in sauceboat. Serve immediately with salsa in bowl on the side.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 310 Carbohydrates 40.5 gm. Protein 20.5 gm. Fat 8 gm. Sodium 770 mg. Cholesterol 125 mg.
Greek Potato Salad with Dried Tomatoes
- 1 pound (3 medium) potatoes, uniform in size, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup (1 1/2 ounces) Sonoma dried tomato halves
- Lemon Dressing
- 1 cup sliced seedless cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek olives or pitted ripe olives
In 2 to 3-quart saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in 2 inches boiling water over medium heat, just until tender, 10 to 15 minutes; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in bowl, cover tomatoes with boiling water; set aside at least 10 minutes. In large bowl prepare Lemon Dressing. Thoroughly drain tomatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Add potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers to dressing, toss to coat. Mound potato/tomato mixture on plate. Arrange onion, cheese and olives on top. Yields: 4 servings.
Lemon Dressing: In large bowl whisk 1/4 cup each olive oil and water, 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 large clove garlic, pressed, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 351 Carbohydrates 35.2 gm. Protein 8.3 gm. Fat 21.2 gm. Sodium 1285 mg. Cholesterol 25 mg.
Root and Tubers Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth or bouillon
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 medium potatoes (about 2/3 pounds), cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup peeled and cubed turnips
- 1 cup peeled and cubed rutabaga
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups green cabbage, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a 5 to 6 quart pot. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot. Soup can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yields: 8 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 121 Carbohydrates 23.7 gm. Protein 4.7 gm. Fat 1.0 gm. Sodium 1342 mg
- 4 large white potatoes, raw
- 2 cups milk or cream
- 3 tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic
- chopped chives
Dice potatoes and dump into a pan. Add chicken stock, the whole garlic clove, and enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch. Cover loosely, and cook until tender, checking to see that the potatoes do not boil dry. Pour in more water if you need some. When the potatoes are done, discard the clove, and add the remaining ingredients except the chives. Simmer for 30 minutes and serve with the chives floating on top. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 286 Carbohydrates 33.4 gm Protein 9 gm Fat 13.4 gm Sodium 509 mg Cholesterol 40.5 mg Calcium 164 mg
One-Pan Potatoes & Chicken Santa Fe
- 4 medium potatoes,
- cut into 1/2 inch cubes & microwaved
- 8 to 10 minutes until tender
- 1 lb. boned and skinned chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 cup prepared tomato salsa
- 1 small can whole kernel corn, drained
While potatoes cook, in large skillet toss and brown chicken in oil over high heat 5 minutes. Add potatoes; saute and toss until potatoes are lightly browned. Add salsa and corn; toss until heated through
Time 20 minutes Servings: 4
return to potato home page