First N.C. State Fair Youth Livestock Scholarship recipients announced
Twenty-four North Carolina students are the first recipients of the N.C. State Fair Youth Livestock Scholarships, Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler announced.
The scholarships are designed for high school seniors and students currently enrolled in an institute of higher education who have participated in the junior livestock or market turkey shows at the N.C. State Fair.
The scholarships were funded by sponsors of the annual N.C. State Fair Junior Livestock Sale of Champions. The number of scholarships awarded each year will be based on qualified applicants and funds available from the previous year’s Sale of Champions. Because of strong support of the 2014 sale, 24 scholarships valued at $2,000 each were awarded this year.
“These scholarships are an investment in our next generation of farmers and agribusiness leaders,” Troxler said. “I’m thankful for the support of our sponsors who made these scholarships possible.”
A selection committee evaluated applicants based on their involvement with N.C. State Fair junior livestock shows, academic achievement, extracurricular activities and an essay. Each application was assigned a number and identifying information was removed before evaluation.
Following is a list of the scholarship recipients by county, along with the university or community college they will attend this fall:
- Gabrielle Adams, Hiddenite, Wilkes Community College
- Michala Brown, Taylorsville, N.C. State University
- Kelsi Cartwright, Leicester, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
- Tucker Worley, Leicester, Haywood Community College
- Ty Worley, Leicester, Haywood Community College
- Courtney Eudy, Harrisburg, N.C. State University
- Tristen Fulton, Lexington, Iowa State University
- Janeice Leonard, Lexington, University of Mount Olive
- Kylie Ward, Lexington, University of Mount Olive
- Hannah Earle, Kenly, N.C. State University
- Bethany Mackey, Mars Hill, East Tennessee State University
- Sylas Owen, Marshall, Mars Hill University
- Taylor Joyner, Nashville, N.C. State University
- Benjamin Herndon, Parkton, N.C. State University
- Charles Sherrill, Mount Ulla, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- Adam Lawing, Bostic, N.C. State University
- Brooklyn Murray, Bostic, Isothermal Community College
- Emily Lanier, New Hill, University of North Carolina at Asheville
- Emma See, Raleigh, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Garrett See, Raleigh, N.C. State University
- Alexander Linton, Mount Olive, University of Mount Olive
- Marisa Linton, Mount Olive, N.C. State University
- William Sharp, Sims, N.C. State University
- Jacob Rucker, Hamptonville, Campbell University
For more on how to support the 2015 Junior Livestock Sale of Champions or the scholarship program, contact Wesley Wyatt, State Fair manager, at email@example.com.