FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY, JULY 1, 2013
Randy Maness, retail marketing specialist
NCDA&CS Marketing Division
Big Cart promotes local food at N.C. Wal-Mart stores this summer
RALEIGH -- Some shoppers may notice a larger-than-life shopping cart sitting in front of their local Wal-Mart stores this summer. The 13-foot-tall Got to Be NC Big Cart will be traveling the state with North Carolina food companies to promote local food products in July and August.
“This 27-stop tour kicks off in Washington on July 8 and ends Aug. 16 in Raleigh,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “We are pleased to partner with Wal-Mart to promote North Carolina’s number one industry and the variety of local foods produced here.”
Each event will offer shoppers a chance to sample local products featured in stores. Inside, Wal-Mart shoppers will find more signage and shelf tags identifying local foods.
The Big Cart will be set up from 4 to 6 p.m. at the following Wal-Marts:
- July 8 -- Washington, 570 Pamlico Plaza;
- July 9 -- Goldsboro, 2908 U.S. Highway 70 W.;
- July 10 -- Havelock, 566 U.S. Highway 70 W.;
- July 11 -- Leland, 1112 New Pointe Blvd.;
- July 12 -- Wilmington, 5135 Carolina Beach Road;
- July 15 -- Kernersville, 1130 South Main St.;
- July 16 -- Greensboro, 2107 Pyramid Village Blvd.;
- July 17 -- Sanford, 3310 N.C. Highway 87 S.;
- July 18 -- Chapel Hill, 12500 U.S. Highway 15/501 N.;
- July 22 -- Murphy, 2330 U.S. Highway 19;
- July 23 -- Franklin, 273 Commons Drive;
- July 24 -- Hendersonville, 250 Highlands Square Drive;
- July 25 -- Mooresville, 169 Norman Station Blvd.;
- July 26 -- Huntersville, 11145 Bryton Town Center Drive;
- July 29 -- Indian Trail, 2101 Younts Road;
- July 30 -- Monroe, 2406 West Roosevelt Blvd.;
- July 31 -- Hope Mills, 3030 N. Main St.
The sponsor-supported Big Cart is powered by a Chevrolet 396-V engine. It is part of the Got to Be NC marketing campaign, the official state identity program for products grown and processed in North Carolina.
For a complete listing of tour dates and more information about the Got to Be NC program, go to www.gottobenc.com/promotions/events/.