This information is provided to assist parties interested in selling honey bees in the State of North Carolina. Please read all the information carefully and then submit the forms listed below to:
1060 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1060
All forms must be typed or printed legibly. Unsigned forms cannot be processed. The forms required are:
- A current health Certificate from state of origin.
- Application form for Permit to Sell Bees in North Carolina.
- A non-refundable $25.00 Permit Fee must accompany the above application. (Please make checks payable to NCDA&CS)
- Compliance agreement for producers who wish to sell queens or packaged bees in North Carolina. Be sure to provide the requested information. The forms must be signed and dated. Unsigned forms will not be processed.
- Brood and bees on comb carry a higher intrinsic/potential risk of transferring honey pathogens and pests. For this reason, if you are interested in selling hives or nucs, please call the office for additional consultation.
Upon receipt of the appropriate forms, your application will be considered. It is unlawful to market queens, packages, nucs, or hives before the Permit to Sell Bees in North Carolina has been issued. Prior to selling bees in North Carolina, a person shall obtain a permit from NCDA&CS. (Note to North Carolina residents: Contact your local inspector for an appointment). A permit is not required for (1) the sale of less than 10 bee hives in a calendar year, (2) at one time going -out-of-business sale of less than 50 bee hives, or (3) the renting of bees for pollination purposes or the movement of bees to gather honey.
If you have questions regarding this procedure, please contact Don Hopkins at (919) 218-3310 or Don.Hopkins@ncagr.gov.
Compliance Agreement for Producers Selling Queen Bees & Packaged Bees (pdf)
Application Form for Permit to sell bees in North Carolina (pdf)
N.C. Bee and Honey Act of 1977
N.C. Bee and Honey Act of 1977 (RTF printable)