Skip Navigation


Veterinary Division

Animal Welfare Section


New Facility and Renewal Applications:

Type Directly into Forms:**

For Print Only:


*These forms require you to have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. Download Adobe Reader


**For best results use Internet Explorer. If you are using Chrome or Mozilla as your browser you must right click on the application link and select "Save link as" to Save application to your computer. Then you can open the form from your computer.

If you offer boarding of dogs and/or cats out of your home for a fee you must obtain a boarding kennel license from the Animal Welfare Section. This includes providing boarding services advertised through online pet-service companies and other online lists. Operating a boarding facility without a valid license could result in up to a $5,000 civil penalty for each violation.  In addition, operation of a boarding kennel without a valid license is a Class 3 misdemeanor where each day of operation constitutes a separate offense.

Quick Links


Laws and Rules


Feline Panleukopenia-Feline Distemper
Feline Panleukopenia-Feline Distemper




Spay Neuter Program

Fix your critter

Animal Shelter Support Fund

Animal Shelter Support Fund

dog and catThe 1977 North Carolina General Assembly enacted an "Animal Welfare Act" to ensure that animals, as items of commerce, are provided humane care and treatment by regulating the transportation, sale, purchase, housing, care, handling and treatment of animals by persons or organizations engaged in transporting, buying or selling them. This Act is intended to protect animals confined in pet shops, kennels, public and private animal shelters, and auction markets. For the purposes of this Act, "animal," as defined by General Statute 19A-23, includes only domestic dogs and cats. This should not be confused with county-operated animal shelters that are regulated by county governments and their officials. State issued certificates or licenses are required for animal shelters, pet shops, boarding kennels and dealers. Criminal penalties are provided for the operation of a pet shop, kennel, animal shelter, etc., without a license.

Pet Shops who sell "pocket pets" (hedgehogs, degus, spiny mice, prairie dogs, flying squirrels, jerboas, or short-tailed oppossums) need to be licensed with the USDA, APHIS. Not included on the list of "pocket pets" are rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, gophers, chinchilla, domestic ferrets. Click here for USDA, APHIS contact information.

Call the local sheriff's office or local animal control for cases of animal cruelty, stolen animals, animals running at large, in-home pet sitting services, private breeding kennels, or humane care of animals other than dogs and cats being sold commercially. Animal cruelty cases are handled at the local level, and may be reported to the N.C. Department of Justice's Animal Welfare Hotline by calling 1-855-290-6915 or by contacting your local sheriff's office, local police department, local animal control and/or your local animal cruelty investigator.




NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. R. Douglas Meckes - State Veterinarian
Mailing Address: 1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 West Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 707-3250 Fax: (919) 733-2277

How can we make this page better for you?
Contact the NCDA&CS

Found a bug? Have a suggestion? Fill out the form below and we'll take a look!

Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Question or Comments:

Back to top

Get Email Alerts

Stay up to date with NCDA&CS. Sign up to receive the latest news and upcoming events via email.