Farm Biosecurity Guidelines
The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is recommending the following precautions as an aid in preventing disease introduction:
- Producers and veterinarians should become as familiar as possible with the disease by utilizing the training module on the department web site (ncagr.com/vet/DiseaseAlerts.htm)
- Producers should observe their stock closely for symptoms and immediately contact their veterinarian if clinical signs are seen.
- New herd additions should be minimized or suspended. If new animals must be added, they should be limited to those of known background and isolated and observed for illness for 2 weeks prior to introduction.
- Increase farm biosecurity measures by limiting traffic and personal access of persons not directly affiliated with farm operations.
- Thoroughly investigate the international travel status of farm employees. Prohibit them from accessing the premise for at least 14 days after returning from abroad. All clothing and personal items should be washed and disinfected upon reentry. Prohibit employees from receiving any gifts or food products from relatives residing overseas.
- Refrain from feeding farm animals any garbage or waste food products of any type.
- Restrict the purchase of feed, forage, hay, or bedding materials to those of known domestic or local origin. If used equipment must be purchased, limit it to that of known local origin and thoroughly sanitize it prior to bringing on to the farm.
- Restrict the entry of any non-farm employee. Clean and disinfect shoes and clothing prior to allowing entry of personnel to the animal holding areas of the premise.
- Discontinue the practice of allowing free ranging dogs or pets on the farm premise. Limit wildlife entry to the farm as much as possible.
NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. Steven Wells - Interim State Veterinarian
Mailing Address:1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 W. Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 733-7601; FAX: (919) 733-2277