Farmed Cervid Program
On September 30, 2015, the approval of the Farm Act by the North Carolina legislature transferred the oversight and regulation of production, sale, possession and transportation of farmed cervids in North Carolina from the Wildlife Resources Commission to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
NCDA&CS has in place, a transition team that is reviewing current rules, regulations, and processes for the NCDA&CS’s farmed cervid program; this team will work to integrate existing requirements into the operational capability of our department. Until such time as the transition has been completed, NCDA&CS will continue to follow the rules, regulations, and processes adopted by the Wildlife Resources Commission.
We are requesting that all farmed cervid producers contact the department between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. at (919) 707-3250 regarding:
- Questions about the program;
- Reporting escapes, disappearances and deaths upon discovery;
- Ingress of wild deer into your facility;
- Requests for additional animal identification tags for your herd;
- Reporting suspicion of any State or Federal reportable disease;
- Requests for exportation permits or slaughterhouse transportation permits;
- Reporting violations of captive cervid regulations.
If calling afterhours, please leave a voicemail.
Or you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to:
- Ask questions about the program;
- Report deaths and submission of samples to the lab upon discovery;
- Report if you harvest and process deer onsite and have submitted appropriate samples to the lab;
- Request for additional animal identification tags for your herd;
- Forward completed requests exportation permits or slaughterhouse transportation permits;
- Report violations of captive cervid regulations.
Below are the NCDA&CS transitional forms farmed cervid producers should use until permanent forms are developed. We will update the forms as they become available. And then drop the PDFs, spreadsheet, or word documents of the forms.
- Farmed Cervid Movement Permit Application
- Herd Inventory Template (12-21-15)
- Herd Inventory Template Tabloid Print (12-18-15)