Veterinary Home Pages
Animal Health Programs
Animal Welfare Programs
Animal Disease Alerts
Contact Us
NC Veterinary Laws and Regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
USDA Contacts
Reportable Diseases
State Status
Animal Health Fact Sheets
NC Stockyards and Markets
Horse Sales
Other Sites of Interest
Meat And Poultry Division
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory System


Equine Event Permit
Horse owners can apply for interstate health permit

(Horses Stabled in North Carolina Only)

Download N.C. Equine Animal Event Permit (requires Adobe Acrobat reader)

Equine Event Permit FAQ

Horse owners who frequently travel out of state with their animals for horse shows and festivals can take advantage of a new agreement between Southern states that will eliminate the need to obtain monthly animal health certificates.

The agreement between Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia will allow horse owners to apply for an Equine Event Permit that will be good for up to six months in any of the listed states. Some states had reciprocal agreements in the past, but this is the first agreement of its kind in South.

"I think equine owners will appreciate the savings this permit will offer in both time and money," State Veterinarian Dr. David Marshall said. "I don't think the extended length of the health certificate will affect the health of our horses. Event managers will still have the right to turn away any animal that is visibly sick, and Veterinary Division personnel will continue to make random health checks at events. The equine community is very conscious of illnesses and takes the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of diseases among animals."

To receive an equine event permit from the state of North Carolina, the horse must reside or be stabled in North Carolina. North Carolina horse owners must send proof of a negative Coggins test within the last twelve months and a North Carolina Certificate of Veterinary Inspection no greater than thirty days old, along with an application and a $5 processing fee for each animal to the N.C. State Veterinarian. Owners must also submit proof of permanent identification, which includes tattoos, brands, microchips or digital photos showing the left and right sides, as well as a frontal view, of the horse. All photos must include a full view of the horse from the tips of the ears to the hooves. Digital photos will not be accepted as a form of identification in Louisiana. The tattoo or microchip identification must be included on the EIA/Coggins test chart that is part of the Equine Event Permit application.

Microchip users must provide a functional microchip reader if horse is not identified with an
ISO/ANSI compatible RFID chip 11784/85, 134.2 KHZ .

The issued permit will be good for six months, unless the Coggins test expires beforehand. Owners will still be required to carry the Coggins information and original health certificate with them when they travel. Owners will also be required to travel with a microchip reader if the equine is identified by microchip. If traveling to Arkansas or Oklahoma, the Coggins test must have been performed within the previous seven months.

Equine owners carrying a equine event permit will also be required to carry an accurate, up-to-date event itinerary that documents each equine movement. An itinerary form is included with the application.

The application can be downloaded or obtained by calling (919) 733-7601.

Download N.C. Equine Animal Event Permit (requires Adobe Acrobat reader)



NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. R. Douglas Meckes - State Veterinarian
Mailing Address:1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 W. Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone:919-707-3250; FAX: (919) 733-2277