The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has a wide variety of programs and services that affect the lives and livelihood of North Carolina residents almost every day. The department also:
- Inspects gas pumps, commercial scales, price scanners and other tools of trade to make sure consumers get what they pay for.
- Ensures a safe food supply through inspections at grocery stores and food processing facilities.
Food and Drug Protection Division, Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- Provides free soil sample testing to help homeowners improve yards and gardens.
Agronomic Services Division
- Protects farmland and open space for current and future generations.
Environmental Programs Division, Division of Soil and Water Conservation
- Works to reduce pet overpopulation through the spay/neuter program and inspects pet food for safety.
Veterinary Division, Food and Drug Protection Division
- Protects your home investment by training and licensing structural pest control professionals.
Structural Pest Control and Pesticides Division
- Supports school lunch programs and hunger relief agencies by delivering USDA commodities.
Food Distribution Division
- Operates five regional farmers markets in Asheville, Charlotte, Colfax, Lumberton and Raleigh.
- Responds to wildfires and natural disasters.
N.C. Forest Service, Emergency Programs Division
- Helps get locally grown products into schools through the Farm to School Program.
Food Distribution Division, Marketing Division