Professional Development - Training Opportunities - District Board Training Library
A collection of training modules (videos and narrated presentations) focused on building the capabilities of local districts and helping them understand their responsibilities as entities of local government. These tools are designed to be used for self paced training, one on one facilitated training, or as part of local district board meetings. If seeking Supervisor Training Credits, these should be viewed in a group setting; please contact your Regional Coordinator for details. Each can be viewed in its entirety or broken down into shorter segments for viewing over time. Please follow the links below for more information.
General Information About Districts/District Supervisors
- NC Soil and Water Conservation Partnership - A video presentation series providing an overview of how Soil & Water Conservation Districts partner with other agencies/organizations to conserve our natural resources. This series is divided into four 15-20 minute modules
- The Legal Basis for Districts - A video presentation series describing the roles and responsibilities of Soil & Water Conservation Districts and the authorities of district supervisors established in NC General Statute 139. This 30-minute video is divided into several brief chapters. The series was produced and narrated by Richard Whisnant of the University of North Carolina School of Government.
- Understanding the NC Open Meetings Law - A 19-minute narrated PowerPoint presentation that provides specifically applicable guidance to districts on the NC Open Meetings Law.
- Hugh Hammond Bennett - A video documentary put together by USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) on soil conservation pioneer Hugh Hammond Bennett, the history of the agency, and the birth of the private lands conservation movement in the United States.
- Supervisor Training - a 12-minute narrated PowerPoint presentation that provides information related to the local soil and water conservation district supervisor training requirement. Information is shared regarding policies the Commission has adopted for the Supervisor Training Program, and how to achieve the Supervisor Training Credits (STCs), as required.
- Remote Meetings - a 30-minute narrated PowerPoint presentation that provides information for local soil and water conservation districts for remote meeting during the COVID-19 pandemic. Considerations, best practices, and software options are presented.
Management and Leadership in Districts
- Best Practices for Small Boards - a short discourse on creating a successful meeting culture.
- Diversity in a Changing World - This 15-minute narrated presentation discusses the importance of recognizing and embracing diversity in the makeup of district boards and in delivery of services to the citizens of the district.
- Leading Your District to Be All That It Can Be - This PowerPoint presentation goes through the expectations for district supervisors and staff in the district law (NC General Statute 139) and in each district's Operational Agreement. The presentation was initially presented by David Williams at several of the 2016 Spring Area Meetings.
- Managers Guide to Monitoring Stress - a 17-minute narrated PowerPoint presentation to help managers recognize signs of stress, causes of stress, and steps that should be taken to treat stress for staff.