On Oct. 15, 2018, the North Carolina General Assembly established the Hurricane Florence Agricultural Disaster Program of 2018, a one-time assistance program for agricultural producers who suffered a loss due to Hurricane/ Tropical Storm Florence. Although the program has been established, assistance will be dependent upon appropriation from the North Carolina General Assembly. The program will be administered by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
On December 4, a $240 million bill was signed into law to provide direct assistance to farmers.
What is the purpose of the Agricultural Disaster Program of 2018?
- The Agricultural Disaster Program (Program) of 2018 was developed and administered by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) in accordance to S.L. 2018-136 to provide one-time assistance for agricultural producers who suffered a production loss from the 2018 storms, Hurricane Florence and Tropical Storm Michael.
- Approved applications will receive a payment amount based on information submitted, county ad-hoc committee loss estimates in eligible counties, average county yield data and state price averages provided by U.S. Department of Agriculture – National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA-NASS).
- An IRS Form 1099 for miscellaneous income will be issued to the person or business entity listed on the application for tax year 2019 for this disaster payment.
- The funding for the Program is provided by a one-time state appropriation allocated in S.L. 2018-138.
- NCDA&CS is administering the program. USDA-FSA and N.C. Cooperative Extension have provided assistance with information collection for the Program.
- The N.C. General Assembly extended the deadline period to December 20, and the application period has closed. application period has closed. Completed and submitted applications may not be edited. What is my application status?
To check the status of an application, go to this link https://www.ncagr.gov/agriculturaldisasterprogram/CheckStatus/ and type in your 8-digit reference number. The status of your application will be one of the following:
- Under Review
- Being Processed
- Special Note: Please be advised that we are unable to give any payment information (including estimates) at this time.
- Navigate to the application portal and click “Forgot Password?” under the returning user section. Enter the email address associated with your account. The automated email you received when you submitted the application will have the username in the first line of the body of the email. Click on the link in the email to reset the password. After the success page, return to the portal and login.
Thank you for your continued patience as we process applications.